Thursday 19 January 2012

Tipping at Tim Hortons an Adventure with Nanny

While driving back from the hospital, we decided grabbing a Tim’s coffee was a good idea. After much discussion with my Nanny who is driving we decide there is no need to go in to the building, we can just go through the drive thru...to save time of course....Well not only did it not save time but once they finally got our order right ( 1 Medium double double, 1 LG Ice Cap, and 1 Medium Tea...I can see how they would have trouble with that :l ) we advanced to the next window to pay. Sounds simple enough...right? No. My Nanny who is in the driver’s seat pays the lady, takes her change back and starts to look through it. This takes a few moments and there is a line behind us going to the street. I assume this is because she is going to tip the lady at the window. She’s not...and as we are starting to pull away...
I say “Oh I thought you were going to tip her...?”
Nanny who has decided to brake because we need to talk about this while still in the line up, as we have not pulled far enough away so that the car behind us can get they’re order, nor are we close enough to the pick up window to see the clerk anymore says “Are you suppose to tip at Tim Hortons?”
I say “I think so...I typically do, but you’re holding up the line, lets go.”
Nanny “Well no Amanda, not if we’re suppose to tip her.” So on the 4 way lights go as Nanny has decided to back up...you can well imagine we can not back up! So she rolls her window back down so she can signal to the cars behind us that they NEED to back up.
We finally after what I’m sure was a good 3 minutes...but felt like forever, were able to get close enough to the window that we can just barely get the back of the our car window to the end of the pick up window where both parties: My nanny and the clerk are reaching their necks out to talk.
Nanny has a Looney and would like to change it for four quarters. The clerk is clearly annoyed and hands Nanny the 4 quarters. Nanny puts 50cents in the dash and goes to hand 50 cents back to the clerk, but realizes that this is a collectors quarter with some Olympic on it. So she hands her one quarter and apologises for not having tipped earlier while explaining that  she didn’t know she needed to...and proceeds to drive away.
Me “Seriously, we just backed everyone in the drive thru up so that you could tip her 25cents!!!!”
Nanny “What? I gave her 50 cents.”
Me “No, you didn’t you just kept the collectors quarter.”
Nanny “OMG, should I go back?”
My cousin who has been sitting in the back seat the whole time laughing her ass off spits some of her drink out while trying to say “God No!”
I don’t think I will be going back to that Tim Hortons location again!

2 comments:

  1. This is just hilarious! I can see and hear Nanny doing all this and not think how it would affect everyone behing her. That poor girl at Tim's didn't have a chance in h--- to win with Nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to be the best Nanny story I have ever read! I felt your anquish! xoxo

    ReplyDelete